NAMI Somerset Family-to-Family
- 12:00 PM
The NAMI Family-to-Family Education Program is a free, 12-week course for family caregivers of individuals with severe mental illnesses.
- The course is taught by trained family members
- All instruction and course materials are free to class participants
- Over 300,000 family members have graduated from this national program
- This program significantly improves a family’s ability to cope with an ill relative’s mental disorder, according to an NIMH-funded study published June 2011 in Psychiatric Services, a journal of the American Psychiatric Association.
What the Course Offers
Current information about schizophrenia, major depression, bipolar disorder (manic depression), panic disorder, and obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD); up-to-date information about medication compliance; discussion of the biological bases of serious mental illnesses, treatment options, and recovery.
Coping Skills gaining empathy by understanding what a person with a serious mental illness experiences; problem-solving, listening, and communication techniques; handling periods of crisis and relapse; care for the caregiver; coping with worry, stress and overload.
Advocacy Guidance on locating appropriate supports and services within the community and obtaining better mental health services; and advocacy for appropriate federal and state policies.
If you are interested in receiving additional information to enroll in a Family-To-Family Education Program or if you would like information on training to become a Family Educator or Family Facilitator please contact our office at (732) 940-0991 or e-mail [email protected]
The Twelve Education Modules of the Family-to-Family Course
- Learning about feelings, learning about facts
- Introduction to schizophrenia: Diagnosis, critical periods
- Introduction to depression and bipolar illness
- Basics about the brain
- Problem-solving skills workshop
- Medications review
- What it’s like to be mentally ill: Empathy Workshop
- Communications skills workshop
- Relative groups and self-care
- Advocacy: Fighting stigma
- Certification and celebration
Feb. 24 – May 19, 2018
(no class on 3/31)
9:30 am -12:00 noon
100 Grant Ave,
Somerville, NJ 08876
Family & Support Services
Behavioral / Mental Health
Last Updated: 03/23/18